This is the website for the Building and Construction Community in South Africa. The aim is to present any relevant issue concerning the industry and its stakeholders. Important stakeholders would include contractors, suppliers, developers, workers and customers. Hence there will be information by and for these groups on this website. It is the intention to cover and combine issues relevant to commerce, technology and civil society within the framework of the building and construction industry. Commerce includes business, companies and service provision. Technology would deal with techniques, equipment and materials. While civil society would cover associations and events dealing with the industry.
Building Industry and Technology
Any information on the industry and the trades within building and construction. Introducing technology and methods to the sector.
Building Construction Community
Community for the Building and Construction Sector. This is for anyone who works in the industry or who is learning and studying to become active in the sector. There is a forum where issues relating to building and construction in South Africa can be discussed.
The building and construction community involver all stakeholders that contribute or benefit to the industry. This includes :
- Contractors, providing technical services
- Workers providing labor
- Suppliers providing materials
- Consumers purchasing the products and services
- Associations of the stakeholders themselves
- Entrepreneurs who are starting their own construction business
In order to function properly within the context of the South African economy and society, the sector needs to have civil society structures in the form of associations, networks and educational institutions. These structures provide guidance and support for the stakeholders within the context of the sector. More on the building and construction community.
Building Construction Business
Work needs to be done and money needs to be earned. Anything required to organize and realize this is under scrutinity here. Building and Construction is important business for developing the infrastructure of a country. Any business-like features are to be found and presented here. Members of this site are welcome to advertise their companies and products here.
Any specialized industry or trade within the building and construction sector. This would include:
- construction in general
- plumbing, bath rooms and air conditioning
- electrical works, provision of power and wiring
- painting, coating and treatment of surfaces
- landscaping and gardening
- roofing and waterproofing
- road works and paving
- architecture and civil engineering
- manufacturing of building materials
- home improvement services, garage doors
- home security systems
- Borehole drilling
Building Construction Association
Associations representing interests within the building and construction sector will be represented here. This may include industry federations, trade unions, consumer bodies, educational institutions and the like. All associations are part of the building and construction community.
Sales and Marketing
Builders do work for customers and their benefit. Customers need to know what is offered and any contractor needs to know what customers need and want. Sales and Marketing are the functions to deal with customers directly. Sales and Marketing of Products, Services and Properties
- Building Materials like bricks, tiles, paints and coatings
- Services like interior decorating, building, home improvement
- Properties like stands, flats and houses
Building and Construction Work
Finally one needs have the work itself being done. There are designs from the architects and civil engineers. Then there are building materials and those materials must be processed to become structures and buildings. Find on this site companies for the execution of any building and construction work:
- Preparation of site
- Installation of basic infrastructure
- Rough construction work
- Plumbing, electrical and accessories
- Painting and Finishing
- Snaglists / Punch Lists
Jobs in Construction
What work is done within the sector? Any occupation is discussed and described here. Of special interest are the following professions:
- Clay, Cement and Stone Workers
- Civil Engineers
Management of building projects and anything that belongs to this field. This includes:
- Getting the customer requirements.
- Designing a building solution
- Developing a project plan
- Managing suppliers and subcontractors
- Supervising the execution of the projects.